Friday, January 13, 2012

Why Should I Keep a Journal?

Why Should I Keep a Journal?

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, 1Nephi 9: 5-6 states: "Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not. but the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen."

Nephi didn't know why he was writing on the plates. He only knew that it was the Lord's desire that he obey. Nephi chose to obey, and his writings have blessed millions of lives. As individuals in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, individuals are encouraged to write a record of our lives. Or in other words keep a journal. Many chose to do this with blogging. For me, I prefer writing by hand in a bound journal. I love the feel of the page. I do however enjoy a little blogging. We are promised that if we keep a journal, that they will be a blessing for us, and for our children and future generations.

Take a moment to think about the pioneers and it is easy to see that this blessing is true and the promise is sure. I personally feel that I'm not going through the pain that the pioneers endured. Why then, is it important for me to keep a journal? I don't know who my words will affect. But God knows. And God speaks to his children through the prophet, and the prophet has said that keeping a journal is important. "...whether by my voice, or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." Doctrine and Covenants 1:38.

Like Nephi, I may not know why the Lord wants me to keep a record of my life and the events I witness, but one day, they will bless another and help the Holy Spirit lead them to Christ. That is the greatest blessing of all.

With love,
~Emily~

No comments:

Post a Comment