Thursday, January 12, 2012

Opening Doors

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door. Albert Camus Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/door.html#ixzz1jJvWJz1J
Today I was able to practice what I call my "hostess mode". I worked at the Applebee's in Cedar City, Utah for 11 months and absolutely loved it. However, I have started questioning sincerity at times because certain behaviors have become mere habits. Such as opening the door for others around me. At work it was a required behavior for my job. I worried when I continued to behave as though I was at work. I wondered if I was smiling and talking to people because I wanted to or if it was because of work habits. THAT questioning is how Satan tried to get to me.
I overcame this obsticle when I thought about it for a while. I remembered that I did these things even before it was my job. That's why the job was perfect for me. I genuinely enjoy meeting new people. And opening doors for others with a smile makes me a happy boost, and brightens the days of those around me too.
Another advantage is that I find others that open doors and notice them more. There are many Gentlemen and Gentlewomen out there. As long as I pay attention I notice them. Today I had the door held for me almost as much as I held the door for others. I would guess it's the mentality of "Pay it Forward". I probably didn't start it, but I at least helped continue rounds of service today. And that makes all the difference.
I would recommend, that the next time you are going through a door that you hold it a little bit longer. Let someone come in behind you. This can be anywhere: at work, school, out shopping, or at home. And don't meet them with a scowl and frown, greet them with a smile from the heart. It will lift both of your spirits. The blessings are boundless.

No comments:

Post a Comment